Damages in a wrongful death case are intended to compensate for losses resulting from the death of a family member.
Some losses are measurable – a widow in a wrongful death suit, for example, could seek to recover the financial support that she would have received had her spouse lived. At The Caldwell Law Firm we realize everyone’s situation is unique. Other damages are more general in nature. To learn more contact us for for a free legal consultation.
Types of recoverable wrongful death damages include:
- Direct Expenses- medical bills and funeral cost.
- Loss of Benefits- what the person could have received in pension-retirement benefits had they lived.
- Loss of Future Earnings- what the person who died would have earned in salary if he or she had lived.
- Loss of Companionship- what the person who died would have emotionally provided to a relationship, and the mental pain and suffering resulting from the decedent’s death.
- Punitive Damages- what amount the defendant should be punished for his or her action resulting in the victim’s death.